This website is accessible to all versions of every browser. However, you are seeing this message because your browser does not support basic Web standards, and does not properly display the site's design details. Please consider upgrading to a more modern browser. (Learn More).

You are here: home > opinion > chatlist chatters

Caring for injured or orphaned wildlife

By Bronwyn
Posted Monday, February 20, 2006

e-mail E-mail this page   print Printer-friendly page

Chatham County, NC - Recently I found a red-shouldered hawk in the middle of the road, so I stopped to pick him up thinking he was injured. Luckily a car coming the other way stopped and told me to call the wild life rescue center in Sanford. They came and picked him up as soon as I called even though I live in Bonlee.

This is a great group, very knowledgeable and doing a wonderful service for our injured wildlife. They come up to Chatham often to rescue animals- sometimes in the middle of the night. So I thought this would be chatham centric.

Anne Mathis is currently serving as president of the Wildlife Rescue Center in Sanford, NC. She says that they are a small group of home-based rehabilitators. They not only rescue and rehabilitate, but provide educational program/exhibits at local fairs, Raleigh RenFaire, museums, industry family days, local schools, scout troops, etc.

They have volunteers available for transport for raptors and mammals; i.e. squirrels, rabbits, opossums, snakes,songbirds, etc. A list of the transport personnel is available by calling the WRC at (919)776-6221.

Anne is a state/federally licensed raptor rehabilitator. If you need assistance with an injured raptor (hawks, owls, vulture, eagles), you can contact her at (919)776-4596 (home) or (919)742-2140 (work) or e-mail her at

She commutes to Siler City each day for work and is available for pick-ups on a daily basis in Chatham.

The WRC is not allowed to rehabilitate bear, deer, fox, raccoons or bats. Please contact your local wildlife officer to assist with any issues regarding these wildlife species. However they do provide transport for orphaned/injured fawns to the designated fawn rehabber in Chapel Hill.

Anne emphasises that if you find an injured animal, to place it in a box, place the box in a warm, quiet room away and contact a veterinarian or rehabber asap!

DO NOT FEED or WATER the animals! It is very important to turn these animals over to a rehabber asap. Many of the drugs they may need have to be administered within the first few hours following their injuries.

They need volunteers, so if you are interested, contace Anne at

If you would be interested in supporting the WRC, contributions can be mailed to: Wildllife Rescue Center, P.O. Box 2113, Sanford, NC 27330.

e-mail E-mail this page
print Printer-friendly page

Got Feedback?
Send a letter to the editor.

Chatham Chatlist

Sign up for the Chatham Chatlist. Find out what your friends and neighbors are saying about what's going on in Chatham County.

Promote your business at

Subscribe now: RSS news feed, plus FREE headlines for your site