This website is accessible to all versions of every browser. However, you are seeing this message because your browser does not support basic Web standards, and does not properly display the site's design details. Please consider upgrading to a more modern browser. (Learn More).

You are here: home > opinion > chatlist chatters

Sevin can be highy toxic to honey bees

By Alton Justice
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2008

e-mail E-mail this page   print Printer-friendly page

Chatham County, NC - Pesticides are intended to control pests. They can also kill indiscriminately. This is extremely true of Sevin dust. Sevin dust is highly toxic to honey bees. Sevin dust is one of the most toxic insecticides to the honey bee. Sevin does not kill on contact. The bees come in contact with the Sevin dust and return to the hive exposing the hive to the toxins.

When using pesticides always consider the adverse effects of your actions. Some pesticides are poisons. Chatham County will most likely always have ticks. I would also hope that we can always have an adequate population of honey bees and other pollinators. They determine if we have locally grown produce available.

I beg you, everyone, not to use Sevin dust. Find some other way to deal ticks and other less desirable insects, while protecting the beneficial insects.

Support Chatham County; support the honey bee. They are good for the agricultural related economy.

 
e-mail E-mail this page
print Printer-friendly page
 
 
 
 
Opinion

Got Feedback?
Send a letter to the editor.

Chatham Chatlist

Subscribe
Sign up for the Chatham Chatlist. Find out what your friends and neighbors are saying about what's going on in Chatham County.

Advertise
Promote your business at chathamjournal.com

Subscribe now: RSS news feed, plus FREE headlines for your site